Saturday, October 11, 2008

Joaquin and Kohl share a room...and more

So last week we finally moved Joaquin to Kohl's room. Soon after I put Joaquin in his crib he started crying for no good reason. Kohl quickly objected to his cry saying, "There is no crying in my room! Mom, Joaquin in crying too loud.... take him... he wants to go back to your room."
They have happily shared a room for over a week now and Kohl, who sleeps like a rock, still loves him:-) I did offer Kohl to sleep in the yard.

Another one...Kohl can you take the garbage out?
K: Why do I have to? I don't want to?
Me: I made food for you this morning. I did the dishes after you ate. I help you with your bath every night. I do things for you so you need to do things to help me.
K: OK

So now when he objects to anything I say, "I help you, you help me" and that solves it.

oh no, the rite of passage question... Sat. Oct. 11 at 11:13am
K: Mom, is Santa Claus real?
M: What do you think Kohl?
he sounds really worried...
K: Yes (pauses for a minute...giggles)
No
That is where it ended. Thankfully Nana totally pretended it didn't even happen. She fixed her eyes on me the entire time and refused to get into the argument. I am sure the issue will revisit soon.

5 comments:

familia Bybaran said...

Wow! The santa clause question. Isn't that a little advanced? I like the you help me, I help you approach. I will try that one.

Irene said...

he can't believe it anymore, but it is hard to not go with the fantasy. When Nana asked me what Papa and I wanted Santa to bring us Kohl quickly replied that Santa wouldn't bring us (sp & I) presents, but that the kids have to buy Mom and Dad presents. I just stay silent and let them work out their reality/fantasy frustrations. Keeping up with these fantasies gets intricate and Kohl is not willing to go through the work. Yet he can't seem to embrace that Santa is a fake.

Joseph, Rossana and Samaya said...

I can really imagine all of you three in that conversation and I can totally see Nana's face- looking straight at you waiting for an answer...
The "you help me, I help you" approach really works that's what Maya and I use...there's a song in signing time that talks about that and so we sing it while we're cleaning up around the house and picking up toys...

Elizabeth said...

I found your blog from Dave and Dara's. I'm still waiting for the boys to be able to pick up something ALL by themselves without my involvement. (They can do this if it's one or two things, but if the legos are all over the floor...forget it!) I like that concept---mutual helping.

{z} said...

Hey...I'm commenting so you can have a link to my blog...oh and don't forget to put my button on your blog! Thanks guys for your help.