Friday, February 13, 2009

Mama, I don't want you to go anywhere...

We had a nice evening with the Fisks, Alicia and Becca. It was a last minute gathering...not really, but it felt like it due to my procrastinating :-) Anyhow, we had some yummy food, nice conversation and a big serving of warm Bybee cake with vanilla ice cream. The best part was singing the birthday song to Spence as he got ready to blow his b-day torch. He said he wanted candles so I opened the box and put the entire bunch of candles on top of his ice cream - the cake was too warm. The fire spread quickly from one little candle to the next, and before we knew it we had a nice torch burning as we sang. I wish you had all been here to enjoy it with us.

Happy b-day honey!

So after a night of fun, I cuddled with my kiddos as they fell asleep. I often rush out of their rooms to go and get stuff done, but tonight felt special for some reason. I asked Nana if she would love me "as big as China" when she was big. "As big as outter space!" was her reply. I made her promise she would. I have to remember to get it in writing too. Something tells me that she will forget as soon as she turns thirteen.

They started to breathe heavy and I thought she was asleep, but as I tried to pull away she mumbled, "Mama, I don't want you to go anywhere." I stayed. I guess I am getting old and wish that I took more time to just enjoy their childhood. The crazy things they do and say. Just the other night Nana was trying to figure out what day it was and asked "is today even or oven?" Boys start family prayer on even days and girls do it on odd days. I couldn't stop laughing.

The lesson I learned today: to enjoy my babies while they are babies because teenagers are NO FUN! I know I wasn't and I am not entirely sure about Spencer. He tends to contradict himself :-)

5 comments:

Campbell Family said...

We didn't know it was Spencer's bday...sorry:( Happy Birthday to you!!! Sounds like you guys had a fun night. This post was so sweet! Our kiddos do grow up way too fast. Let's get together soon and catch up...my sister is going back home on Sunday...so our lives will go back to normal after that:) Love you guys!

Beck said...

It was a special evening! You're right about the birthday torch- it was something else! The time you spent with your kids makes me want to go hug mine right now.

Marlon and Suzana said...

Aww, you got me a bit teary eyed. I also have to keep reminding myself to take the time to enjoy the day-to-day moments with Donny. Tell Spencer we said Happy Birthday!

familia Bybaran said...

Fun! I wish we could have been there. Happy Birthday to Spencer.

You are so right about the kids. It's not going to be long before they are interested in things that do not revolve around you.

Lois said...

Happy Belated to Spencer!
So true Irene, we need to cherish the now while our children are small! Thanks for the reminder! However, I disagree with you about Teenagers - they are SO FUN! : ) Of course mine are still little, but almost 10 years working with teens has made me appreciate their uniqueness! Elder Wirthlin's counsel of "Come What May and Love it!" can help us deal with the teens and also a sense of humor!;)